Wednesday, April 13, 2011

MD & W 50' Plug & Sliding Door Box Car

Fourteen.
I must say, the best words I can hear are "make it dirty, heavily weathered, modern era...do what you want." This is an Athearn "Ready to Roll" MD&W 50' Plug & Sliding Door Box Car #10013.

I free handed the graffiti with paint markers, the primer panel is acrylic paints and the rust is all oils. I use Burnt Umber for the heavy rust and a blend of Raw and Burnt Sienna for the lighter rust areas.


Fifteen.
Here is a close up view of the rust. I find fading out the rust with lighter tones very effective.



Sixteen and Seventeen.
Again showing all the sides of the car. Some people have described this as extreme weathering but I draw all my inspiration from the prototype, either through online research of from train spotting. I would say that not every car in your fleet should be this heavily weathered but a handful make it more realistic


Eighteen.
Close up of the graffiti. Also like the prototype, not all graffiti is perfect. "Bombers and Writers" have to practice somewhere...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Its amazing sliding doors design. Thanks for sharing on this with us.

    Commercial Rolling Gates The Bronx

    ReplyDelete